Water test kit for measuring the nitrite concentration (NO₂) - suitable for fresh and marine water aquaria.
Nitrite is toxic. The nitrite ion reacts with the iron in the enzymes of cell respiration as well as with haemoglobin. The latter is oxidised to methaemoglobin, which no longer contributes to the transport of oxygen in the blood.
The first symptoms of nitrite poisoning in fish are therefore, in addition to a general feeling of indisposition, heavy, hectic breathing movements and later seeking the surface of the water.
Nitrite Test Set Instructions for use
- Rinse the sample test tube several times with the water to be tested and then fill with sample water exactly to the 5 ml mark *
- Add 4 drops of reagent 1 and shake
- Add 4 drops of reagent 2 and shake again
If nitrite is present in the water, the sample will change color. After 4 minutes you can read the concentration
- Compare the color of the sample with the color table by holding the test tube close to the color that seems most similar to you and looking through the tube from above
For good results, it is best to use daylight (no direct sunlight)
* The meniscus of the water surface must touch the 5 ml graduation mark exactly
Clean the vial after use, close the reagent bottle tightly and store in a cool, dry place away from light.
Keep out of reach of children!
If the determined nitrite concentration is above 0.5 mg/l, please immediately change at least 30 %, better 50 % of the water to tempered fresh water. If necessary, repeat the water change at shorter intervals. It is helpful to use bacteria preparations such as Bactedrakon (see accessories) to build up a nitrite-degrading bacterial flora in the tank and filter.
Until the nitrite concentration has been reduced to harmless levels, please feed only moderately or, better still, temporarily not at all!
12 ml each reagent solution 1 & 2, glass test tube with sealing cap, color card
Sufficient for 60 tests
- Any questions about this product?
- PRODACtest NO2 Videoanleitung/Video tutorial
- Further products by Prodac International S.r.l.